5 Things You Can Do With Your PumpkinOct 31 2015
Halloween has come and gone, we hope that trick-or-treaters were well rewarded for their costume efforts and that a spooky night of bonfires and fireworks was had by all!
Pumpkins, the trademark of the Halloween festivities, will now be put out with the rubbish. An extremely wasteful thing to do when you consider all the things that can be done with your leftover pumpkins after Halloween night. This giant fruit is filled with seeds and juicy pulp that have countless uses. We have put together a list of the top 5 things you can do with your pumpkin, rather than discard it!
- Toast the Pumpkin Seeds. These mighty things are packed to the brim with the mineral zinc, which is an important immune system booster. Separate the seeds from the pulp of the pumpkin and toast them in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The seeds are a tasty and healthy on-the-go snack and also cost a fortune to buy from health food stores! Saving your seeds is kind to your pocket and good for your health too!
- Make your own facial scrub. A healthy and wholesome treatment for your skin which is all-natural! Enriched with vitamin A, C and zinc, a pumpkin face mask helps reduce free radical damage as well as nourishing your skin. Simply roast a few spoons of carved out pumpkin for 30 minutes in the oven. Take this pumpkin puree and add ½ tsp honey, ½ tsp milk, ¼ tsp cinnamon and mix into a paste. Smooth onto freshly cleaned skin and leave for 15-20 minutes. Rinse your face with tap water and enjoy your very own home-made Hollywood glow! Goodness knows you’ll need it after the face paint and glitter!
- As well as being a super healthy and natural product for your diet and skin, pumpkins are tasty too and can be used to make a whole host of baked goods. The American favourite, pumpkin pie, is am easy to make seasonal dessert that is really delicious. There are plenty of recipes online for this simple sweet.
- Sow next year’s crop. Dry out some pumpkin seeds and plant them during the summertime. You’ll be growing your own pumpkins by next Halloween!
- Use your pumpkin as a stress reliever! Grab the rotting pumpkin and smash it! And what to do with the smashed debris? – compost them! Give back to the environment by using this decaying fruit to replenish the soil.
We hope you all had a happy Halloween and enjoyed the festivities!