As self storage is a relatively new concept for many Irish people, here are a few tips on how best to use self storage facilities followed by some tips on how to store your stuff.
A self storage facility is a great option for you if you’re in the process of moving house, down-sizing, or expecting a new addition to the family and need to clear out the spare room. Maybe your garage is overflowing, or your business is expanding – it’s great to have a facility where you can safely leave your overflow of stuff.
It is important to use this space efficiently, and to get the most from your unit. Here is a go-to list of how to store your things in your unit:
- Organising your unit: Store the heaviest items first. Make an aisle through your unit to enable you access to the items stored at the back of the unit. If you are stacking boxes, put the heaviest at the bottom. Label all boxes. Place items you need regular access to towards the front of the unit. Place valuables to the back of the unit.
- When storing clothes make sure they are clean and dry and neatly fold them into plastic bags to avoid damage.
- It is a good idea to vacuum them home furnishings before you store them. Empty all drawers and cupboards and tape them shut. Soft furniture such as mattresses and cushions should be wrapped in plastic to protect them from dust. Remove legs where possible to save space and avoid damage. If you dissemble furniture before storing it it is a good idea to label each piece and to store them in an area together. Treat leather furniture with a leather conditioner.
- Although it may make more sense storage-wise to store books on their side, but they should be stored flat to protect their spines and keep them in good condition.
- Breakable items, for example dishes; ornaments; glasses, should be wrapped in bubble wrap and any spaces in the box should be stuffed with scrunched up newspaper or linens to prevent damage while moving.
- Electronic items should be stored in the boxes that they came in if you still have them – these were previously odesigned for protection of the item during travel. If not, bubble wrap.
- Photos can tend to curl up. It is not recommended to store one of a kind or irreplaceable photographs. A good way of storing photos is to place them flat in between two pieces of cardboard and tape them together, this should prevent curling of the edges.
- Do NOT store perishable items in your unit.
- Finally, pack boxes close together to prevent dust gathering.